Friday 15 June 2012

Race For Life 2012

Last Sunday along with my mum, my friend Sharon and her daughter Katie, I did the Race For Life in Bristol.

The weather was overcast but dry. So lucky, as it had been torrential rain all night.
We arrived at the Durdham Downs just after 10am. Heart Radio were pumping out some old school tunes to get everyone raring to go!
The official photographer meandered amongst the crowd snapping the amazing outfits worn by some of the participants.

After a good warm up the runners headed off to the start line. Then the joggers. Next up was us, the walkers. Finally the wheelchairs and buggies.

A sea of pink surrounded the edges of the Downs as far as the eye could see. It was a very emotional and poignant moment for me and my loved ones. Mum and I had stood here before waiting to walk the course to raise money for Cancer Research UK. We had shed a tear at some of the heart breaking back signs on the women in front of us. We too had worn our signs with our loved ones names written clearly for others to read. This time my name was amongst the thousands of names on the thousands of women's signs.

My list had far too many names on it. Survivors, fighters and those who we remember fighting bravely but not surviving. I wished as I wrote each name that they were not on my list, that I did not know them because of cancer.

I did the walk in 1hr and 12 mins! I surprised myself...I thought I would take at least two hours. We had joked that mine would be the Hobble for Life!

I felt so pleased when I passed the finish line and collected my medal. It was a milestone for me. I had come full circle. Unable to go to last years Race for life as I was too ill. A week later, exactly a year ago Friday 17th June 2011, I was diagnosed with Bowel/Colon Cancer. What a difference a year makes!

With the three events taking place in Bristol over that weekend, Cancer Research UK would raise approximately £500,000. I'm so grateful for all my sponsors who helped towards this remarkable amount. It really is All of us Versus cancer!
  

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful descriiptions. I remember my first R-F-L. I cried my way round. So emotional. Well done Jo. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachie :) Yes it is so emotional but such an amazing atmosphere and you feel the strength ooozing from all involved. xx

      Delete
  2. I don't even know how to begin to tell you how positively TOUCHED I am to see my name on your list. You have inspired me on twitter from the days I first started with the twitter thing.... I was so thrilled to read about your experience with your mom (ok-mum). I loved looking at the photos and I was giggling to myself as you described the order in which everyone began the race. Thinking to myself, ok, I'd definitely be a walker but I'd much prefer to have someone pull me on a parade float or something!

    Joanne, I am so glad you are well... and I am so honored to call you a friend....

    Much love...

    xoxoxo
    AnneMarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well what can I say but thank you and I am always inspired by you. Strength, continuously being there for others and being a beautiful person despite tough times. I hope one day we meet and I am honoured to know you dearest AnneMarie xoxox

      Delete