Tuesday 27 September 2011

My Great Escape!

So, last week I got outta 'Stalag Luft 111' just like Steve McQueen and headed for the Dorset coast. Having had a scarey reaction to the Oxaliplatin on Wednesday in Oncology,  just before I was due to go home (my Larynx spasmed and prevented me from breathing properly). Then being violently sick during the 3 days of 5 FU, I was relieved to be able to get in the car Saturday and make the journey. I was determined I would and chemo was not going to spoil my plans.

That evening, I managed a short walk with Meg, Mike and my parents and it felt so good looking out over the cliffs to the sea. I was wrapped up from head to toe like it was minus twenty due to the adverse affects of the cold from the Oxaliplatin chemo! This was a daily occurence, whilst others sat on the beach in shorts and T shirts, I looked like Nanook of the north!

We did trips to Abbottsbury sub tropical gardens, located in its own mini micro climate. the trees and plants from around the world were beautiful.

We spent the day in  Lyme Regis (The Pearl of Dorset) walking along the Victorian Promenade, with its unique, Victorian houses and an eclectic mix of contemporary surf shops, Thai Restaurants and Art Galleries made for a perfect photo opportunity.

 Lunch at Largigi Thai Restaurant, sat out on the sea front in the sunshine was a real tonic. All the stress of the last 4 months temporarily drifted out to sea as I finally relaxed and breathed in the sea air. A walk along 'The Cobb' was bracing! It features in the film and novel  'The French Lieutenant's Woman' written by a local writer John Fowles in 1969  and also in Jane Austen's novel 'Persuasion'.

After lunch a mooch around the shops, second hand book shops, art galleries, hat shops! I found a Folio book of short stories by Daphne Du Maurier and of course due to my adverse reaction to the cold, new hats were purchased in preparation for the winter months! Not that I ever need an excuse to buy hats!

Now that we are back and chemo cycle #4 starts tomorrow, Im already planning my next Great Escape!!

No comments:

Post a Comment