Thursday 10 November 2011

It's all a bit Bananas...


Having never fully recovered from chemo #5, yesterday James and I set off for oncology to start chemo #6! I know I've mentioned it before but this one is a bit of a milestone. Its my halfway mark at last...

On Monday when I had my bloods taken my platelets were too low, so I was a little apprehensive as to whether there had been any increase and my chemo could go ahead.


So, another blood test before we start...
Naomi's face said it all "Its a no go I'm afraid, the neutrophils are zero again". So we return home. Will I ever get to the halfway Mark!

As soon as I returned home the telephone rang. It was the Oncology nurse to tell me that I needed to go to my Doctors immediately to collect a prescription he had arranged to have written up due to very low Potassium levels! I was to start drinking the supplement immediately and continue for the next five days and then return for more blood tests!

Potassium: vital for internal organ function, particularly the heart. Muscle growth, normal nervous system and brain function...say nothing!
Low Potassium levels result in weakness and irregular heart rhythms.
It was no wonder I had not recovered and was still extremely fatigued!

Foods rich in Potassium: Bananas, baked potato, avocados (top three), milk, honey, raisins, prunes, apricots, dates, strawberries, cantaloupe melon, citrus fruits, beets, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and soy products.


Later that afternoon the Doctor rang me and said to take the supplement three times a day for five days and after that to eat a banana daily...


Its all been a bit Bananas recently, so I guess another one won't hurt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment