Friday 4 November 2011

A Son that shines so brightly...

I'm just coming out of the chemo fog once again, but hey we've cleared number 5! Next Wednesday I embark on number 6 and that milestone is my half way mark...

Since I started my 6 months of chemo (a very daunting amount of time) my son James has been with me every step of the way.

 Devotedly, every other week James picks me up and takes me to the Oncology hospital in the City. He sits with me for the 5 hour duration, supporting me, bringing me endless cups of tea whilst I'm hooked up to the chemo drip. We have wonderful conversations and reminisce a lot about our travels over the years, throughout his childhood. Luxor to Aswan on the Nile in Egypt. Pompeii to Rome on the train through Italy. The Alhambra Palace in Granada Spain. Dubai, Shariah, Fujeirah the UAE and trips to visit family in Germany. James helps to make those 5 hours fly by. With his humour he has me laughing and also the nurses!

I know that this is not easy for him. How can it be? On more than one level, its harsh! Seeing your mum have chemo. Seeing so many people in the Unit having chemo. The initial realisation, just how many people have Cancer is scary. However, we get through with a cuppa, a chat and a chuckle...

So, James, I know you will read this and I'd just like to say - "Thank you for Shining so brightly at this dark time"... You make it more bearable.

I'm going to end this post by sharing with you a very special poem that my dad wrote for me, about my favourite time of year...


Autumn - by Peter Dursley

Trees that were green
Have now turned gold,
Yellow, Brown and Red
The Hedgehog in the undergrowth
Now makes his winter bed.

Chill winds from the Arctic blow
Replacing Summers breeze
The Blackbird harvests on the berries
Among the Hawthorn trees.

The time of Halloween has come
A time for tricks or treats
A woe betide the home that
doesn't keep supplies of sweets.

And soon it will be Christmas
Just two more months to go
Prepare for hoare frost,
Long dark nights
And maybe even snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment