Tuesday 23 August 2011

Living in LIMBO...

What a week! Tuesday saw the PICC line insertion completed. I have to say it was no where near as scary as I had imagined. All down to the talented nurse Claire and the very lovely nurse Fallon. After an hour we were all done!

 I came home with 'PICC' who would now be a part of me for the next six months.

I did not sleep well that night mainly due to random thoughts about PICC and was he wriggling about whilst I moved about in bed!

The next day I felt very anxious about the first chemo cycle. We arrived and were met by a very lovely chemo nurse called Jonathon, he talked me through the procedure and then hooked me up! The Oncology suite was very nice to be honest, I had a large reclining arm chair for the duration and a bowl of sweets nearby.

Over the next few days whilst my chemo was still being administered by the little pump I had bought home, I experienced the standard side affects. Mainly nausea, fatigue, pings and pangs in nerve endings! I took the medication prescribed which helped.

The practicalities were a challenge. Question -  How to shower with PICC and Pump?
Answer - With the little help of a genius invention called... 'The Limbo' a waterproof protector which can be submerged and used in showers and baths.

 By Friday evening the pump was disconnected and I was chemo free for eleven days! One down eleven more chemo cycles to go...sounds better than one week down twenty three weeks to go!

Sunday was a beautiful August summers day and I was determined to get out there and make the most of it, so with my factor 30 sun cream, large sunnies and long sleeved top on, off we went. Durdham Downs was bustling with joggers, dog walkers and families having picnics.
 I managed a 40 minute walk, with Meg and my family and enjoyed every minute of it...
It was good to know that I could, even though I'm currently living in Chemo Limbo!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, hope you are okay after your first chemo session. Just make sure you take things easy and don't overdo things. Take care. Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo. I am so happy your first chemo went ok and you managed to have a wonderful day after. It was a beautiful sunny day as well. We will catch up very soon I hope. Take care of yourself. Jules.

    ReplyDelete