Wednesday 25 January 2012

An Age Old Dilemma...

Growing old gracefully. Long in the tooth. Getting on in years. Senior citizen. Terminology we dread to be referred to by...Or do we?

Before I was diagnosed with cancer, I dreaded every Birthday, getting old was not something I wanted. I didn't feel old, why should I start to look it! Last April was my 45th birthday...how did that happen????
Upon reflection, now since my cancer diagnosis, all I want to do is grow old, as old as I can! As old as my grandparents 84 & 88 respectively. I want a full life, full of memories that span 8 decades or more (greedy??)

Besides, these days, 40's the new 30 and 60 the new 50...I'm just a whipper snapper! Looking at actors and actresses who have improved with age like a fine wine. Jenny Agutter looked very attractive in an interview this week. Far prettier than when she was in the Railway Children as a young woman. Also, Felicity Kendall still looks fabulous. Meryl Streep, Alan Rickman, Judi Dench, Jack Nicholson. All in their 6th Decade all looking good, fit and healthy.

There are also an abundance of age enhancing products on the market which postpone the effects of ageing. My favourite du jour is Elemis Pro Radiance Anti-Ageing. Olay Regenerist is another great moisturiser.

As a teenager I read with passion 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde (my favourite writer). So terrified was the protagonist, Dorian Gray, of growing old he sold his soul to the Devil and his portrait bore the ageing process as well as the sins he committed. An extreme case of not wanting to grow old and of vanity.


Acisius Sophocles said -"No man loves life like him that's growing old" how true.

My own quote is this - " When your life has been threatened, growing old is enviable, Embrace it"

This Blog is dedicated to an Inspirational friend on her Birthday...Happy Birthday Jayne Cox

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say how much this entry resonates with me, since being diagnosed i have envied old people, it is a compete priviledge to grow old and something to aspire to and treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totaly, me too. I remember just after my diagnosis, seeing an elderly lady pruning her roses. I said I want that to be me! All my family, grandparent & there bros & sisters lived into late 80's on both sides! I should inherit that. Thank you for following & lets keep surviving x

    ReplyDelete